Thursday 26 December 2013

Rachel's Memory - Understated Drama (2012)



The debut album from this German band.

I am moving away from my well trodden path on this album and into a more trip-hop electronica landscape. That is in essence what this band is dishing up here. Let me add the correct label: Progressive Electronica. A bit of a mouthful, but it is also a correct label. A reference here is The Third And The Mortal on their second and third album.

What makes this album a bit special and not at least progressive is Antje Auer's stunning (female) vocals. She also serenades us with violins. The other two members are Jurgen Rennecke on bass and the hardest working musician of them all; Andreas Hack on electronic and analogue soundmaking. Mainly on computers and keyboards, I guess.

The result is forty minutes with floating ethereal music where all three members are painting a beautiful soundscape. Beautiful and haunting at the same time.

The end result is a very good album whose only weakness is the lack of a great track or two. It is an album I really like and I will keep an eye out for them.

3.5 points

The band

No comments:

Post a Comment