Monday 7 July 2014

Le Orme - Contrappunti (1974)



The sixth album from this Italian band.

Le Orme was and still is one of the biggest bands in the Italian symphonic prog scene. They started out with a strong ELP influence and moved more towards mainstream Italian prog rock after the first albums. This album sees them firmly planted in the mainstream symphonic prog scene.

Aldo Tagliapietra's vocals is really great on this album. Italian vocals, I have to add. His vocals is helped out by keyboards, piano, percussion, guitars, drums and bass here. Le Orme is actually a trio on this album. Much to my surprise, I have to add.

The music on this half an hour long album is still very symphonic at times and it is mixed up with some more pastoral folky prog influences and melodies. The rather short Aliante is almost krautrock like at times. Some songs also takes in space rock as inspirations.

The end result is not particular great. I have to admit this album has grown on me a lot. I still don't rate this as a good album. A couple of killer tracks is missing from this album. There are some great stuff here though. Aldo's vocals is one of them. Hence my rating.

3.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment