Tuesday 23 September 2014

Paidarion - Behind the Curtains (2011)



The second album from this Finnish band.

I know next to nothing about this band and I am struggling with my blindness here. OK, this band consists of members from Mist Season and Progression. I know both bands reasonable well. They are good bands from Finland.

The music on this one hour long album offers up a lot for everybody. From vocal jazz to some very complex progressive metal. I would call that big contrasts !

The music is created with female vocals, guitars, keyboards, bass, drums and saxophones. Steve Unruh on violin and Michael Manring on bass makes a guest appearance. The contrasts in the music makes me believe this is more a live band than a studio band. The band has a bit of a show-band attitude where no chances is taken and the band is walking down a wide road.

The jazz bits are good. I am not fond of prog metal and is not warming towards those bits. The material is to put it mildly all over the place and I am not sure what the prog metal is doing here. It is like two planets colliding, this album. Hence my verdict as I have a bit problems with this big contrast.

2.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment