Saturday 16 January 2016

Rosa Luxemburg - Chapitre lll: Seuls | Chapitre IV: Ensemble (2014)


The second and so far latest album from this French band.

This trio has not got a lot of attention from the scene as I am not finding a lot of reviews of this album. I have yet to find any, to be honest.

Maybe one of the reasons is that this album, from the outside, comes across as an avant-garde RIO chamber rock album. The artwork and the album title suggests just that and I was preparing myself for just that when I put on this album for the first time. Then I got a surprise.......

This is a trio of keyboards, bass, drums, guitars, male and female vocals. Guest musicians helps out with French horn, cello, trumpet and additional vocals. All vocals are in French, btw.

I got a big surprise because the album starts out as a pretty standard rock orientated prog rock album. The band claims references to Porcupine Tree, The Beatles, Genesis and Pink Floyd. They are right to a great deal. But I would still add that there is some hints of zeuhl and RIO here too. Another reference that springs to my mind is Van Der Graaf Generator.

The music is very elegant and has a lot of classical music inspirations too. Yes, add Mona Lisa and Ange to the proceedings too.

This album is hitting the mark at so many different levels. That two words that best describe this album is "complex" and "elegant". There is no real great pieces of music here. But the overall quality of this forty-five minutes long album is good. This is very much a hidden gem more people should check out. Go so forth and do that.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment