Saturday 1 March 2014

Yugen - Mirrors (2012)



Their first and so far only live album.

Mirrors is an hour full run through this Italian RIO band's (I believe) back catalogue of compositions. Yugen is firmly in the RIO and chamber avant-garde orchestra category. They use piano, drums and bass as a dark sinister backdrop with the woodwinds adding light and life on the top of that. That is the typical RIO chamber orchestra way of doing things. For that matter; Present also used this formula.

The melodies are dark on this album and has this full orchestra feel. I guess going to one of their gigs must be one heck of an experience. Unfortunate; I am in Scotland and they are in Italy. I will put visiting Italy and a Yugen gig on my wish list.

This live album is a good live album with a good sound and good music. Check it out.

3 points

No comments:

Post a Comment