Tuesday 11 March 2014

Calomito - Cane di Schiena (2011)



The second album from this Italian avant-garde combo.

I very much like avant-garde music in the vein of Univers Zero and Present. I also like some of the Eastern European and Scandinavian avant-garde bands. I am also a fan of the likes of Area and Picchio Da Pozzo. Calomito should be straight up my alley and that is why I bought this album.

Calomito takes something from the likes of Area and Picchio, adds a lot from the likes of Yugen and creates their own space......sorry, make that music. Take a lot of half-acoustic guitars, violin, synth, woodwinds, bass and drums. Then  you get a pretty nifty somewhat chamber orchestra, ready to entertain you from the band stand in your local park. Unfortunate, mine burnt down one year ago. But you get my drift.

The music on this one hour long album is ticking away nicely without really impressing me. It is a kind of a halfway house as it is neither a fully chamber orchestra or a fully darkened avant-garde orchestra as in Present. The band is spreading their tentacles around a lot, but the tentacles is not long enough.

Cane Di Schiena is by all means a very good album. But the dot over the I is missing here. I would still recommend this album.

3.5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment